Today I spoke to D., a former Military Intelligence operator from Australia. He has also worked in law enforcement and is currently doing contracted work. We spoke about his experience transitioning from combat engineer to intelligence operator, his time in Afghanistan, mental health, demystifying HUMINT, getting into OSINT and more.
You can find D. on:
We spoke about:
- The reality on the ground in Afghanistan during his deployment (3:08)
- Staying on and changing roles after his first deployment (4:55)
- Transitioning from a combat engineer to intelligence (6:21)
- Lessons learned and experiences on deployment in intelligence (9:42)
- Whether he maintained any relationships from operations (12:31)
- Learning languages (13:43)
- Recognizing burnout and mental health struggles (16:43)
- Starting the.dirtydingo Instagram account (21:46)
- AI and the future of intelligence (27:04)
- Advice to professionals in the industry (29:56)
- Advice for getting started in OSINT (33:35)
- Cultural recommendations (39:07)
- So, You Want To Be An Intelligence Analyst?
- A Guide to Open-Source Intelligence (OSINT)
- OSINT, Military Career Transition & Language Skills with Skip Schiphorst
- OSINT & SOCMINT for Threat Intelligence with Jordan Ponath
- GEOINT, OSINT & Facing Vicarious Trauma with Benjamin Strick
- Intelligence Led-Policing, OSINT & Facing PTSD with Julie Nel
- Interview with former CIA Officer, Jason L.
- Former DIA Intelligence Analyst, Marcel Plichta
- Corporate Intelligence, Global Risk, & OSINT Tips with Gareth Westwood
- ChatGPT, The Intelligence Community & Career Advice with Mike Evans
- Expert advice for getting into Intelligence
- Intelligence Tradecraft Week, Tools, Tips & Tricks
The Grey Dynamics Podcast is available on all major platforms!