Today I spoke with Anna Kruglova! Anna is a Lecturer of Terrorism Studies and a Programme leader for MA Terrorism and Security at the School of Arts and Media at the University of Salford.
She obtained her PhD in international studies from Queen’s University Belfast and her MA in international conflict studies from King’s College London and her MSc in Security Studies from UCL.
Her research interests are focused on terrorist propaganda and she is particularly interested in exploring what role the Internet, media and social media play in the recruitment process and radicalisation.
She recently published a book Terrorist Recruitment, Propaganda and Branding: Selling Terror Online.
We spoke about
- ISIL Cat memes
- Anna’s research into ISIS Digital Marketing techniques to recruit and spread propaganda
- The recruitment of social media and branding experts
- 5 Star Jihad and how ISIS catered towards different audiences
- The role of adventure, belonging and nostalgia in recruitment messaging
- Role of the media and policy maker receptivity
- Academic bureaucracy and the role of researchers
- Information warfare meets Active Measures in Ukraine
The Grey Dynamics Podcast is available on all major platforms!